The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, the top ranked School of Public Health in the United States, has established a research alliance with Stantec, a leader in water and wastewater treatment/design and provider of strategic consulting, environmental engineering and construction services. The JHU/Stantec Alliance is seeking to hire a highly motivated, full-time postdoctoral fellow with a background in Environmental Engineering or related field who has a strong interest in Public Health and Engineering. The successful candidate will work at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, focusing on projects related to water treatment. This exciting position, which involves conducting research from both an academic and applied perspective, provides substantial career growth opportunities. The JHU/Stantec Alliance encompasses a variety of water and wastewater-related projects, including those associated with water supply and treatment, water resources management, renewable energy, resource recovery, and sustainable environmental practices.
The primary responsibilities for this position will include:
• Planning, conducting and managing bench-scale and field investigations focused on the use of a variety of established and novel technologies for treatment of on-site septic and municipal secondary effluent for both non- potable and potable reuse.
• Leading and conducting desktop studies, literature reviews, and related investigations specific to the subject area.
• Preparing research proposals for submission to various outside funding agencies, i.e., National Science Foundation
and Water Research Foundation.
• Preparing technical papers for peer reviewed journals and presenting findings at selected conferences.
• Providing imaginative and innovative thinking to existing and new areas of research as well as devising novel and
detailed approaches towards developing solutions for problems encountered.
Required Qualifications & Skills
• Ph.D. in environmental engineering or related discipline. Candidate must have a specific background in water treatment and have a demonstrated publication record in this area.
• Demonstrated knowledge and expertise with conventional or reclaimed water processes, with a specific focus on advanced treatment is desired.
• Hands-on experience conducting lab experiments. In-depth experience utilizing basic water quality analytical techniques as well as advanced water quality instrumentation such as ion chromatography, LC-MS, etc.
• Extremely strong verbal and written skills. Evidence of writing skills will be requested.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Good organizational skills. Detail oriented and accustomed to producing high quality work.
• Propensity for writing peer-reviewed journal articles.
• Experience working in a research laboratory field study environment.
Applicants should submit an electronic version of their curriculum vitae, a 1-2 page background statement including research interests, and the names and contact information for 3-5 references. Correspondence should be addressed to:
Dr. Kellogg Schwab
Department of Environmental Health and Engineering
Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health/Whiting School of Engineering 615 North Wolfe Street Room E6620
Baltimore, MD 21205
EEO/AA/M/F/V/D – JHU and Stantec consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or other basis in accordance with federal, state or local laws or regulations.